Friday, October 27, 2006

Bharathanatyam Dance Performance

On Oct 26, 2006, two months of learning Bharathanatyam dance, the traditional dance style of South India, culminated in a performance. Some pictures, for your viewing pleasure:

Raksha, Rachel, Me, Nate, Guru Kripa, Roslyn, and Ashley


Me in traditional costume, jewelry, and make-up.


Kripa and me, only minutes after Raksha told me to "sit" more, and I only succeeded in ripping my pants.


Hand and foot paint.


Mid-dance. Ros looks angry. I look uninterested. Only Ashley is smiling like we should be.


We're head-bobbing and shoulder-jerking here, all in the symbollic attempt to encourage our audience to sit down a good hour after they already have.


Final formation in the lamp dance. I was fighting for balance the entire time, hence the strained smile.


Me and Ros, post-dance.


Stage make-up. My eyes are supposed to look wide and shiny.


Yar! Angry-Demon-Face! (Believe it or not, this face is actually made in association with one of the dance mudras.)


Dramatic. Note my hand paint: better to see mudras (hand gestures) from far away.


I wasn't allowed to wear my glasses during the performance, but if you ask me they go fabulously with my red bindi.

No comments: